Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Pregnancy Update

It's hard to believe I'm already past the halfway mark. It seems like just the other day I got a positive on that little stick. I'll be 22 weeks tomorrow.
This pregnancy has been very different from my pregnancy with Grace. B and I used to joke that I should be a surrogate because my first pregnancy was so easy! No nausea, no morning sickness, no medical issues, I felt great. I was tired during the first trimester and had the worst swollen ankles during the summer but that was it.
With this little bean, I had a few weeks of constant nausea. I never actually got sick, but the constant queasy feeling was horrible.
At 11 weeks, I had some bleeding. Not a lot, but enough to make me worry. Several friends who had had similar experiences were reassuring that a little bit of bleeding was okay, and I headed to my doctor to check things out. Our family doctor is out on maternity leave herself, so I saw her temporary replacement. I had just had my dating ultrasound earlier that week and all was normal, which she said was reassuring, and the fact that I wasn't feeling any cramping was also a good sign. She sent me for bloodwork that day (it was a Friday) and again on Monday, then I was back to see her on Tuesday. My hcg levels had dropped significantly. I was told to come back if I had any more bleeding and/or cramping. Although I felt fine, I saw the doctor every week for a while just to hear baby's heartbeat.
Thankfully, everything has been going well since then. I'm tired a lot, and my hips hurt, and I've been getting sciatic pain from sitting at my desk at work. But I am so excited for Grace to have a little brother or sister and I can't wait to meet this little bean!
We had our 20 week ultrasound last week and everything is normal; baby was measuring right on target for 20 weeks. And, we decided not to open the envelope! We're going to wait and enjoy the surprise of finding out whether we have a boy or girl when we meet this little one.We've been talking about names but are nowhere near agreeing on anything. Which doesn't really surprise me, we managed to work down to a short list before Grace was born and decided on her name when we met her. I imagine we will do the same for Baby Sampson 2.0.

1 comment:

The Tompkins Family said...

I can't believe your levels dropped! So stressful. It just goes to show that none of the bleeding/cramping/hcg levels can really mean anything. (I too had bleeding but with cramping for both the girls) So glad you're having an easier time now, that must have been an intense time.