Friday, May 10, 2013

Grocery Shopping with Two

I'm actually kind of embarrassed to admit this, but this week I took both girls grocery shopping by myself for the first time. Usually, Brian or I go alone, or one of us takes Grace while the other stays home with Anna, or we do our grocery shopping as a family of four. I had been avoiding taking the girls myself for a while because Anna is not content to sit in her carseat in the cart like Grace used to. Every time we tried, I ended up carrying Anna around the store while Brian pushed the cart, with Grace's help. Since Anna started liking being in the carrier I had been meaning to take them both on my own, but it was just easier to do it the way we had been. Part of my hesitation to take both of them and put Anna in the carrier is the fact that Grace sometimes refuses to sit in the cart - she would rather help us push. Plus, I like going to the grocery store by myself. It's funny how, once you have kids, going to the grocery store alone is like a mini vacation.

Anyway, our shopping trip went perfectly! I had Anna in the Beco and Grace happily got in the cart. No whining, crying, or fussing from either of them. We ran into Anna's boyfriend Lennan and his mama and we strolled a few aisles together. Soon Anna will be able to sit in the cart, which I think will make things even easier, and I think both girls will enjoy sitting in the cart together. 

I feel like I should mention I don't completely avoid going out with both girls We go out often - playgroups, visiting friends & family, the library, we used to go to Kindermusik, etc. I was just avoiding shopping with both of them. I'm sure not every shopping trip will be smooth sailing, but I won't hesitate to go again, just the three of us.

1 comment:

The Tompkins Family said...

It is always so nice when something we feel nervous about goes so smoothly! I totally remember the anxiety I felt the first time I took both my girls!