Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What's in a Name?

Grace – noun
1. Elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion, or action.
2. A pleasing or attractive quality or endowment.
3. Favor or good will.



    Grace was one of the few names that B and I agreed on. I don’t remember who suggested it, but it made it on the list. She’s not named after anyone, although B informed me that Dave Matthews (his fave) has a daughter named Grace. We both just really liked the name.
    We discussed names a lot when I was pregnant, and since we had chosen not to find out if we were having a boy or a girl, we decided to have a handful of names we liked at the ready for when baby arrived. When we met our beautiful girl, B said “she looks like a Grace.” I agreed. 

    We had decided ahead of time that if we did choose the name Grace, her middle name would be Marcella. I personally think that Grace Marcella just sounds lovely; the two names go well together. But there’s more to it than that. Marcella is my mom’s name, although she’s always gone by Marny. My mom is a smart, strong, and amazing woman. Marcella was also my Nanny’s middle name. My Nanny was the most caring, loving, beautiful person I have ever met (and I’m not just saying that because she’s my Nanny. You can even ask people who aren’t related to her). Nanny absolutely loved babies, and I often wish she was still around to meet her first great granddaughter. I love that Gracie’s middle name is connected to two of the most wonderful people in my life. 


    While I'm on the topic of names, here are a few of Grace's nicknames:

Gracie Goo
Goober (or just Goob)  
Chubsy
Stinker
Turkey Butt (sometimes nicknames don't make any sense)
Booger
Cheeks
Sweet Pea

No comments: