Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tumblebugs

Last night Grace started Tumblebugs, a beginner gymnastics class. This is her first structured program, and her first activity of any sort without parental involvement. I knew the class did not require any parental participation, but I assumed parents could stay and watch. Nope! I had to sign her in and leave until the 45 minute class was up! After filling out some paperwork, I ended up waiting in the car for half an hour. I felt a little guilty because I would have explained to her that I would be leaving and prepared her a bit for being there by herself, but she didn't seem to mind. It helped that one of her friends from Wee Bears is in the class too. I waved to her as I was leaving and she said "Come over here with me, Mommy!" I told her I'd be back in a few minutes and she responded with a cheery "Ok!" When I came back to pick her up, she was deep in conversation with one of the instructors, and demonstrating her favourite thing they did (jumping around like a frog). When she saw me, she gave me a smile and a wave but kept talking to the instructor with a smile on her face. Then she came skipping over, showed me the sticker she was given, and told me all about what they had done. She had a great time and I think she's looking forward to going back again next week. Next time I'll bring a tea and a book!

1 comment:

The Tompkins Family said...

That's awesome that it went so well! P has her first Unparented activity last week too. It also went well. Hoping that means a smooth transition for preschool in the fall!